Credit By Exam (CBE) and Acceleration Exam (AE)
Credit by Examination without Prior Instruction
Credit by Examination with Prior Instruction
Harmony Public Schools may approve examinations for acceleration to test a student’s essential knowledge and skills for each primary school grade level and for credit for secondary school academic subjects.
A student in grades 6–12 will be given credit for an academic subject in which he or she has had no prior instruction if the student scores 80% or above on a criterion-referenced test for the applicable test (see AE, below). Credits obtained through CBE (without instruction) will not be calculated for GPA and class rank. Those tests require 70% or above scores.
Students are required to apply for testing at least one month prior to the first day of testing. A student may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times. Students may take a specific exam only once during each testing window.
Deadline for test orders Test Dates
Exam request procedures:
- Please request the CBE Registration Form from the Head College Counselor.
- Once the form is completed and returned to the Head College Counselor, the test will be ordered and scheduled. If payment is required, the amount and method will be communicated.
- CBE tests will be administered during the school day unless the student requests a Saturday administration. The student will be allowed 3 hours to complete most tests.
- HSA Carrollton will receive the score report in approximately 2 weeks. The grade will be updated in Skyward, and the student will be provided with a copy of the score report.
- Note: Test registration dates and administration dates may be subject to change.
Frequently Asked Questions
∙ What is the difference between Credit by Exam (CBE) and Acceleration Exam (AE)?
Acceleration Exams (AEs) are given to any student without prior instruction in a course or specialized tutoring, so they may earn course credit. Credit-by-Exam (CBEs) is given for credit recovery for those students who have received instruction, yet credit was not awarded for the course.
∙ What score must I make?
Students must receive an 80 or above to receive credit for a course for acceleration (AEs). A score of 70 or above is needed for credit recovery (CBEs).
∙ How long do I have to complete an exam?
Three hours are allowed for most exams.
∙ Where are tests administered?
At your campus: Harmony Science Academy- Carrollton
∙ How often are Acceleration Exams or Credit-by-Exams offered by HSA Carrollton?
Exams are offered twice in the Fall and twice in the Spring.
∙ How do I find out about my score?
Your score will be mailed to your school. The school counselor will give you your official score report.
∙ Will my exam grade be on my transcript?
For CBE, Yes, and the grade will be factored into GPA calculations as a non-weighted course. For AE, Yes, but the grade will not be calculated for GPA and class rank.
∙ May I retake the test?
Yes, one additional time. State law permits a maximum of 2 times per test.